Wednesday, November 21, 2007

A New Chapter Begins Today

Thanksgiving Eve. Most folks don't find any significance to the evening before Thanksgiving except to begin preparations for the big feast. Utill this very minute, I have not ever afforded any significance to this day. I now vow to change that, for the eve before Thanksgiving should be a time we use to prepare ourselves to be Thankful. Sure, in a perfect world we would all be thankful for all of our blessings everyday we live. Everyone is blessed in some way, shape or form and we are often told that we should count those blessings and remember to be grateful for what we have, but do any of us REALLY do that on a daily basis? I doubt it.

What does it mean to be thankful or full of thanks? And who is it that we should be "giving" thanks to? To be thankful is to acknowledge the things and people in our lives that make getting up in the morning just a little easier, to appreciate each gift that has been given to us; both tangible and intangible, to fully understand the good that is present in our day to day existance.

Who do we give thanks to? We should give thanks to any and all who are responsible for all that is good in our lives. For me, that means first and foremost, God. For without God I am lost in this world. Others responsible for my joy are my parents, my daughter and other family members. I would also need to thank my dear friends for adding spice and laughter and animation to my daily existance. That person on the side walk today that smiled and said "Hi" also deserves thanks for adding a bright moment to an otherwise dreary, rainy day. I think I might have to thank the horses that allow me to cry on their strong necks and listen to my fears and worries without ever passing judgement on me. Then, what about Tucker, my dog, who is always the happiest to see me when I walk in the door and who never fails to let me know that he loves me no matter what? I think he deserves thanks too.

Most humans take life so seriously. We worry about money, time, taxes, food, weight, hair, car repairs and so many other things. I want to begin to live my life as if I knew I was going to die tomorrow. How much more would I appreciate the so-called "little things"? Does it really matter if my hair doesn't do just what I wanted it to today? Is it really important for me to check of everything on the "To-Do List" today? I don't think so, I think that spending time with my daughter, watching her ride or discussing her latest crush is much more important than anything else I can think of right now.

So, my preparation on this Thanksgiving Eve is to slow down and count the 10 most important aspects of my life that I am thankful for (in no particular order) ....
1. My daughter
2. The rest of my family
3. A GOD who loves me even when I fail
4. A place to call home, not just a place to live
5. My 5 senses, all working and in great condition
6. The serenity of the barn
7. Medifast
8. Tucker
9. My friend in Texas, whom I feel closer to than my sisters sometimes
10. My church family
And as I look toward the Christmas season my hope is that I do not lose sight of that list. May I continue to realize all that is good in my life and recognize that not all people have as much to be thankful for. I desire to be the one that can brighten someone's day, or to help someone in a way that nobody else can. I hope to remember that, though I may not be rich, there are millions of people who have less than I do.
I remember working at McDonnalds last Christmas season. It was a horribly cold day and I was miserable working in the drive-thru booth. A woman pulled up, placed her order and paid and I took the next car's order. That car was full of children and one frazeled woman just trying to get her chores done and get home for the day. Before the first car pulled away she handed me a $20 bill and told be to apply it to the order of the car behind her. She did not know the woman or any of the children, but she felt that God wanted her to help. I only wish that she could have seen the tears in the eyes of the woman she helped. Her order totaled $19.80. She was, indeed, at the end of her emotional rope and desparately needed this blessing in her life. I hope that in some way, I am able to do for someone what one woman did for another that day.
So, Thanksgiving will be a day for me to reflect on all that I have that is positive in my life. It will also be a time for me to review the negative and decide if there is any of it I can change. If I can, I hope to make those changes. If I cannot, I hope to be able to let it go.

No comments: